Here’s a story for all of you who have a dream and think you need someone else to help you get there…You Don’t!
I worked for a short while with a woman (I’ll call Angelita Flowers) who had been obese, and who decided to have lap band surgery. She lost a lot of weight, had several cosmetic surgeries, damn she looks good…..
Then she realized that there was a niche of over-weight people out there, just like the person she had been, who were, desperate for help with their weight issues. Who was she to step aside from a bunch of people with desperation and cash?
So, long story short, she started a business linking obese women with bariatric doctors. She skipped around from various clinics and doctors to other clinics and other doctors. Made a name in the local Houston “obesity” arena, and started several companies for herself along the way. She is one sharp cookie…a shrewd hustler…
I have to hand it to her, she knows her stuff.
Angelita , came to me and proposed a business to
address some of the nutritional needs of bariatric patients. She ended up taking me and a friend of mine for an “expensive” ride; a lap dance (if you’ll pardon the pun).
In other words, she teased and tantalized. We did the work, created a product and when the time came to promote the products, she just ‘got up’ and left us….taking the business, the dream, the cash, and the product..
Long story short= she lied, cheated and stole from us….. and never looked back...there’s an experience for you…I can hardly believe it happened…until I look at my savings account..that’s my proof of her perfidy (always wanted to use that word!)
But—Things Angelita taught me about obesity and bariatric surgery:
Perhaps you didn’t know:
• When you go thru bariatric surgery, you are pretty much altered for ever….your body is no longer the bio-entity it was prior to surgery
• It’s expensive financially, emotionally, and mentally
• It may seem like a “quick fix” but it’s not it’s a life-long choice
• You will most likely suffer from transfer addictions
• Food will taste different and your body will react to it in strange ways
• You can’t hold your alcohol as well if you drink, which you probably shouldn’t anymore
• You may end up unexpectedly pregnant (if you are female) your fertility runs amok
You can lose a lot of prior medical problems:
• Heart issues improve
• Diabetic Issues can sometimes be eliminated
• Sleep Apnea conditions lessen
• High Blood Pressure Issues are resolved
• Risk of premature death is reduced
You will most likely:
• Need more surgeries to fix the problems of left over, sagging skin
• Lose your hair
• Be unable to efficiently assimilate the vitamins and minerals your body needs
• Develop teeth issues
• Have chronic muscle aches and cramps
• Need protein assistance
So, what is the big picture I learned from Ms Angelita Flowers?
- Take care of yourself…before you become over-weight or obese
- Exercise, move it, and lose it
- Eat sensibly….you can do portion control without the lap band….okay so you don’t dump, get nauseated, throw up, and otherwise revolt, but you can watch what you eat.
- Deal with the emotions that trigger over eating….because emotions remain to haunt you with or without bariatric surgery.
- Put some stock in yourself. You are worthy of being taken care of by yourself….SO…take care of yourself!
- Invest in exercise activities, good wholesome foods, common sense multi-vitamins supplements, efficient protein shakes supplements….
- And then forgive and forget those who have hurt you, caused you pain, given you reasons to doubt… take a deep breath and step away from that old attitude and response.
Live those extra years that a healthy life style and healthy body weight can give you…
Be happy, be healthy, take your WomenVitamins, and be blessed, Kersten