Turmeric, that lovely golden spice used in curry, has been also used in India for over 2,500 years, as one of nature’s most powerful healers.
Turmeric has been long known as an anti-inflammatory and recent research reveals that turmeric is beneficial in treating differing health conditions from Alzheimer’s disease to prostate cancer.
- Promotes the immune system and helps with stress
- Cleanses and maintains skin elasticity
- Helps maintain a healthy digestive system
- Supports healthy bones, and joints
- Maintains cholesterol levels
- Promotes healthy blood and liver functions
- Boosts antioxidant protection against free radicals
- Promotes healthy skin
- Supports overall eye health
- Supports healthy blood and circulation
- Assists your neurological system’s healthy response to stress
- Promotes a healthy female reproductive system
- Maintains blood sugar levels already within the normal range
20 reasons to add turmeric to your diet:
- 1. It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, useful in disinfecting cuts and burns.
- 2. When combined with cauliflower, seems to prevent prostate cancer and stops the growth of existing prostate cancer.
- 3. Prevented breast cancer from spreading to the lungs in mice.
- 4. May prevent melanoma and cause existing melanoma cells to decrease/disappear.
- 5. Reduces the risk of childhood leukemia.
- 6. Is a natural liver detoxifying agent.
- 7. May prevent and slow Alzheimer’s progression by removing amyloid plaque buildup in the brain.
- 8. May prevent metastases from occurring in many different forms of cancer.
- 9. Potent natural anti-inflammatory that works as well as many anti-inflammatory drugs but without the side effects.
- 10. Shows promise in slowing the progression of multiple sclerosis in mice.
- 11. Is a natural painkiller.
- 12. Aides fat metabolism and helps weight management.
- 13. Has long been used in Chinese medicine to treat depression.
- 14. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it is a natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- 15. Boosts the effects of some chemo drugs and reduces their side effects.
- 16. Promising studies are underway on the effects of turmeric on pancreatic cancer.
- 17. Studies are ongoing in the positive effects of turmeric on multiple melanoma.
- 18. Has been shown to stop the growth of new blood vessels in tumors.
- 19. Speeds up wound healing and assists in remodeling of damaged skin.
- 20. May help treating psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.
Turmeric comes in powder or pill form. It is available in pill form in most health food stores, usually in 250-500 mg capsules. Turmeric also has a rich, mellow flavor when incorporated into your cooking. A pinch in your potato salad, or egg salad adds to the flavor, as does adding turmeric to chicken recipes.
Stay healthy, take your Women Vitamins, and be blessed, Kersten
Contra-indications: Do not use turmeric if you suffer from gall stones or bile obstruction. Though turmeric is often used by pregnant women, it is important to consult with your doctor as turmeric can be a uterine stimulant.